Sunday 18 March 2012

Mothering Sunday - Mothers Day

Mothers Day... My mother died when I was nine years old. That was back in 1977 and she was thirty five at the time.

My family had decided it was best if I was kept out of the way in the last week of her life. I was carted off to neighbours and relatives. The same happened the week after she died and I was not allowed to go to her funeral either.

Her body was kept in the house until her funeral and one night I snuck into the room where she was to say my own goodbye.

My Mum and I were very close. She was the only person who loved me unconditionally. I loved her the same way. I was angry for a very long time that I had been kept away from her and denied the right to say goodbye at her funeral.

On Mothers Day I always take some time to remember my Mum. It can be by playing some of her favourite songs, having her favourite flowers in the house, looking at old photos. Unfortunately proper memories of her are still fuzzy in my head. There are certain things I recall, but everyday life with her evades me most of the time.

Although she died when I was nine, her influence has continued over the decades. At times of crisis she has been there for me, lifting me out of darkest despair and putting me back on the path of light.

She was a good woman, much loved by her neighbours, family and friends. She used to run a gift shop and cafe near the beach and was fondly known by most local children as "Auntie Val"

So Happy Mothers Day Mum. I hope I'm doing you proud.



What we would give if we could say,
Hello, Mum, in the same old way;
To hear your voice, and see your smile,
To sit with you and chat awhile,
So if you who have a mother,
Cherish her with care,
For you'll never know the heartache,
Till you see her vacant chair.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Nice post. You might like this poem about mothers. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/random-quotation-spot.html

CherryPie said...

This post is a lovely tribute to your Mother, you have done her proud.

You said your own personal good bye which is far more important than the funeral ceremony.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...