People may enter therapy aware of some of the following symptoms, but they may not realise these complications are suggestive of unresolved trauma issues:
1. Addictive behaviors – excessively turning to drugs, alcohol, sex, shopping, gambling as a way to push difficult emotions and upsetting trauma content further away.
2. An inability to tolerate conflicts with others – having a fear of conflict, running from conflict, avoiding conflict, maintaining skewed perceptions of conflict.
3. An inability to tolerate intense feelings, preferring to avoid feeling by any number of ways.
4. An innate belief that they are bad, worthless, without value or importance.
5. Black and white thinking, all or nothing thinking, even if this approach ends up harming themselves.
6. Chronic and repeated suicidal thoughts and feelings.
7. Disorganized attachment patterns – having a variety of short but intense relationships, refusing to have any relationships, dysfunctional relationships, frequent love/hate relationships.
8. Dissociation, spacing out, losing time, missing time, feeling like you are two completely different people (or more than two).
9. Eating disorders – anorexia, bulimia, obesity, etc.
10. Excessive sense of self-blame – taking on inappropriate responsibility as if everything is their fault, making excessive apologies.
11. Inappropriate attachments to mother figures or father figures, even with dysfunctional or unhealthy people.
12. Intense anxiety and repeated panic attacks.
13. Intrusive thoughts, upsetting visual images, flashbacks, body memories / unexplained body pain, or distressing nightmares.
14. Ongoing, chronic depression.
15. Repeatedly acting from a victim role in current day relationships.
16. Repeatedly taking on the rescuer role, even when inappropriate to do so.
17. Self-harm, self-mutilation, self-injury, self-destruction.
18. Suicidal actions and behaviors, failed attempts to suicide.
19. Taking the perpetrator role / angry aggressor in relationships.
20. Unexplained but intense fears of people, places, things.